Saide organizes its projects and work according to our services, areas of work and educational sectors. The services are closely aligned to the theory of the elements of a distance education system as well as a taxonomy that was developed for UNESCO in the 1990s. A more recent addition to areas of work is our work in open education resources.
We offer the following services
Support policy development
- Assist in developing policy in distance educaiton and open learning and the use of technology
- Contribute to policy processes from this perspective
- Conduct systemic reviews of distance education provision and the use of technology in education.
Facilitate programme and course design
- Provide support to developing programmes in which the principle of open and flexible learning is balanced with the provision of sufficient learner support
- Lead collaborative course design processes in which learner support, assessment and course materials are integrated.
Coordinate materials design processes
- Coordinate materials development in a team according to a planned process
- Guide pracititioners in the development process through extensive feedback, developmental testing and critical review
- Make the materials available for the widest possible use, preferably as Open Educational Resources.
Promote the appropriate use of technology
- Research the use of technology in education
- Encourage and support appropriate use of technology in education
Promote the use, creation and sharing of OER
- Identify and make available on Saide's OER Africa platform high quality OER to meet the needs of African educational providers
- Stimulate and/or coordinate projects for the adaptation and development of OER
- Encourage institutions to develop policy that supports the use, creation and sharing of OER
- Support and contribute to networks and communities of practice involved in the development and use of OER.
Support the development of quality criteria and systems
- Saide promotes quality educational delivery by supporting institutions in developing approprite quality assurance systems and through quality assurance capacity building.
Conduct monitoring, evaluation and research
- Work with the client to develop the evaluation plan, including appropriate indicators
- Collect and analyse both quantitative and qualitative information systematically and sensitively
- Feed the information back to the client to improve the initiative.
Build and disseminate knowledge
- Refine understandings of open learning, distance education and the use of technology in education
- Build an internationally recognised distance education collection with both hard copy and digital publicaitons
- Identify relevant information which is shared through our website, newsletters and online catalogue
- Network with the community of distance educators.
- In programme planning, course design, materials development, assessment and learner support for both paper based and online distance education delivery; in management of distance education and costing; and in quality assurance.